The latest trends in the RPA market (according to Gartner, by 2024, 40% of RPA buyers will adopt a multi-vendor strategy – Multi-Vendor Strategy is the New RPA Normal | Robocorp) indicate a growth in strategies involving multiple RPA software solutions within organizations. In our analysis, one of the main reasons for this phenomenon is the cost of licenses required to expand automation programs based on low-code platforms. Additionally, it has been observed that low code is not always necessary to address many repetitive processes within organizations; these can often be resolved through scripting. Finally, the rise of Python, along with various complementary orchestration platforms, emerges as an alternative to established tools in the RPA market.
At Engibots, we believe that Python-based robots with orchestration capabilities will play a fundamental role in building automation centers for processes. As a leading company in the field, our position places us at the forefront of these trends. In some organizations capable of doing so, IT teams will increasingly take ownership of automation programs, often in conjunction with software testing automation programs. Low-code solutions, on the other hand, will continue to be a viable means for process automation and resource empowerment in this field. However, the growth of automation programs may not solely depend on a single platform.
When envisioning a future Center of Excellence (CoE) for automation, we believe that multidisciplinary teams with comprehensive knowledge of process automation and programming will be required. Each automation opportunity will be carefully evaluated to determine the development platform to use and will be assigned to the most qualified team for the task. Concerns and methodologies for scaling automation programs while keeping them cost-controlled and manageable will be crucial. Multi-vendor orchestration solutions will play a crucial role in unifying all processes under one umbrella. It will be essential for this orchestration to possess predictive and advanced governance capabilities, as explored in the previous article on IPAA – Intelligent Process Automation Analytics platforms.
Advantages and Disadvantages of This Strategy
• Cost Reduction: With various software solutions, it is possible to apply different types of licensing or use open-source solutions to minimize costs. Furthermore, migrating old automations to models with lower maintenance costs is feasible.
• Exposure to a Single Platform: This point is crucial, especially at a stage where robots in organizations are playing increasingly critical roles. Using Python-based robots allows for retaining full ownership of the robots on the client side.
• Resource Optimization: All RPA platforms have their advantages, and the secret lies in selecting the most suitable platform for the nature of the process and the challenge at hand.
• Resource Empowerment: Having multiple RPA software solutions, especially those based on programming languages, creates challenges in hiring and training resources capable of working on automations.
• Governance: Managing all processes and executions under the same umbrella presents challenges. Alarm management, executions, and deployments will require a robust and comprehensive process to ensure compliance and governance of automation programs.
• Complexity: Often, with just one RPA software, the complexity associated with the growth of programs is already significant. Adding a new software logically increases the complexity of the technological and operational ecosystem of CoEs.
In summary, the multi-vendor RPA strategy proves to be a promising approach to address the growth of automation within organizations. By utilizing multiple RPA software solutions, companies can reduce costs, minimize exposure to a single platform, and enhance resource allocation based on the nature of processes. However, complexity, resource empowerment, and governance are challenges to overcome in this vision. The vision of a multidisciplinary Center of Excellence (CoE) with advanced orchestration capabilities stands out as essential for the success of this strategy. Therefore, careful evaluation of each scenario and the selection of suitable platforms are crucial to ensure an efficient transition to a multi-vendor RPA approach and to maximize the benefits of this automation journey.